What you need to know about getting Plan B
(Emergency Contraception) without a prescription.
Plan B (Emergency Contraception or EC) Is:
- A type of birth control pill that you can take to prevent pregnancy AFTER sex.
- Sometimes call the “morning after pill”
- Safe and effective. It is more effective the sooner you use it.
- About 89% effective.
Plan B is Not:
- An abortion pill or RU-486. It will not work if you are already pregnant.
- A protection against sexually transmitted diseases including HIV/AIDS.
- To be used in place of other kinds of birth control.
Where you can get EC
- Plan B is available without prescription from local pharmacies. Go to the pharmacy department of an area drug store. Pharmacy outlets in large chain stores may also carry Plan B.
- Please note that not all pharmacies dispense Plan B without a prescription. A prescription can be obtained at the College Health Center.
The cost for Plan B will vary depending on the pharmacy. The cost may be anywhere from $20-$50 or more.