Snacks give you the most satisfying energy source when they have both carbohydrate combined with protein and or fat. Try to choose foods free of refined flours (look for “whole wheat” — not wheat flour or white flour), white sugar, hydrogenated fats, and artificial colors and flavorings. Here are some ideas:
- Granola, muesli, or cereal with yogurt, milk, or soy milk.
- Hummus with whole grain crackers or whole grain bread or pita.
- Hummus and vegetable sticks.
- Grilled or cold cheese sandwich or quesadilla on whole wheat bread or whole wheat tortilla.
- Low-fat cheese (or string cheese) and whole grain crackers or fruit.
- Fruit smoothie made with fresh or frozen fruit and yogurt, milk, or soy milk.
- Nuts with fresh fruit.
- Smoked salmon and whole grain crackers or whole wheat bagel.
- Low-fat ricotta cheese with veggie sticks or fruit.
- Whole grain crackers or bread with almond butter or peanut butter.
- Apple with peanut butter, almond butter, or other nut butter.
- Instant lentil or black bean soup and whole grain crackers or bread.
- Trail mix.
- Energy bar.
Brand names that are healthy…….
Crackers should be free of trans-fat and made with whole grains.
- Ak Mak
- Hawaiian Lavosh
- Wheatines from Barbara’s Bakery
- Wasa Crisp Bread
- Kavli Whole-Grain Crisp Bread
- Mary’s (gone) Crackers (gluten free)
- Hain Brown Rice Crackers
- Ryvita Rye
- Finn Krisp
- Lundberg Farms Brown Rice Cakes